Rumelian CastleThe Rumelian Castle is also known as the Fortress of Europe due to its position being on the entrance of the Bosphorus but on the European side.

The castle original name is Rumelihisari, and it was built by the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II between the years of 1451 and 1452, exactly before he conquered Constantinople.

This impresse defensive construction erects itself on one of Istanbul’s hills and can be noticed by its walls and also by its three watch towers. The three great towers were named after Mehmed II’s viziers: Sadrazam Çandarlı Halil Pasha, Zaganos Pasha, and Sarica Pasha.

Rumelian Castle in Istanbul